Language of instruction: GERMAN
(Course language: German)
The VMPT® (Veterinary Physical Therapist) academic program is designed for veterinary assistants who want to specialize in the field of physical therapy and support and care for dogs, cats and small companion animals during the healing process after injuries and surgeries
Although diagnosis, design of the treatment plan and evaluation of treatment outcomes are the responsibility of the veterinarian, physical therapies can also be performed by trained professionals. Graduates of the VMPT® have a solid basic knowledge of musculoskeletal anatomy and physiology, functional training, gait training, specific pathologies, treatment plan development and different treatment modalities.
The university-based physical therapy specialization for veterinary assistants offers the opportunity to acquire and expand knowledge and skills in the field of physiotherapy and rehabilitation at the most advanced level.
Participants are taught in a “blended learning” format, which consists of e-learning and on-site courses. This allows participants to learn at their own pace with maximum flexibility.
In the VMPT, participants acquire basic knowledge and practical skills about the anatomy and physiology of the musculoskeletal system, various diseases, examination procedures, physical therapy modalities and the creation and implementation of an individual treatment plan.
The theoretical background knowledge from the e-learning modules is put into practice in face-to-face sessions under the supervision of specialists in the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation. The focus here is on palpation of important anatomical landmarks, muscle circumference and joint angle measurements, orthopaedic and neurological examinations and the full scope of physiotherapeutic treatment from the creation to the implementation of the rehabilitation plan.
In very recent years, the importance of physical therapy and rehabilitation for animals has experienced an tremendous boost and has developed into a rapidly growing field of practice in veterinary specialty clinics, referral centers and veterinary practices. The university-based VMPT® specialization prepares graduates perfectly to become a specialist in this growing field of rehabilitation and sports medicine through didactically high-quality online lectures and on-site training under the supervision of experienced veterinarians and animal physiotherapists.
- Blended learning concept:
The combination of online theoretical knowledge, with an interactive clinical onsite live animal lab and up-to-date research information ensures maximum flexibility and learning outcomes
- Consideration of learning types:
The learning content is set up in a way, that all learning types (auditive, visual, kinesthetic, communicative, media-oriented and combination-types) benefit from instruction.
- Small group work:
Hands-on learning in small working groups under the supervision of clinical experts. In addition, industry experts support the labs.
- Commitment to presenting a comprehensive curriculum:
The curriculum draws from ongoing research, best practice examples and practical experience, taking into account clinical and animal welfare aspects.
- Individualized feedback and assistance:
Instructors are commited to interactive collaboration with students during and after completing the academic VMPT program.
- Worldwide accredited speakers:
The instructor team includes active university instructors, expert clinicians and researchers.
- State of the art equipment:
On the on-site days examinations and therapies are performed with the newest modalities.
- Business development:
Learn tools to plan and build up a successful business in the field of animal phyiotharapie and rehabilitation.
- Worldwide recognized designation:
Upon successful completion of the program and examination, participants receive the title of Veterininärmedizinische/r Physikaltherapeut/in (VMPT®).
The academic VMPT program consists of 10 modules that must be completed in order. The VMPT® program is currently taught exclusively in German.
- Modul I – Opening event online (ZOOM).
Activation of the course documents for Modules I and II.
- Modul II – On-site: Applied anatomy in practice (from skeleton to plastinated specimen to living dog. Hands on!)
- Modul III: Online – Functional anatomy and biomechanics, examination, basics of important diseases, performance physiology – e-learning and quiz
- Modul IV: On-site – Neurological examination of dogs and cats, orthopaedic examination, goniometry and muscle circumference measurement, active exercises. Cardiovascular system, blood pressure
- Modul V: Online – modalities (TENS, laser, underwater treadmill, etc.), active and passive exercises, manual therapy; e-learning and quiz
- Modul VI: Online – osteoarthritis, joint surgery, spinal disorders, sports and working dogs, the overweight patient, the cat in physiotherapy. E-learning and quiz
- Modul VII: On-site – developing treatment plans and practical implementation of modalities, review of bone points and landmarks; preparation for the final exam
- Modul VIII: On-site – Externship 40 hours at a VAHL-recognized specialist – freely arrangeable
- Modul IX: Own case report: treatment of an own patient, documentation and submission of the report for the examination
- Modul X: VMPT® examination (written, oral, practice)
The program is open to the following:
- Veterinary Technicians / Nurses
Special admission application:
- Applicants who are still in training can apply for special admission.
- In rare cases, lateral entrants may be admitted; in this case, training certificates and proof of appropriate knowledge of anatomy and physiology must be provided in addition to the application for special admission.
- All applications for special admission are subject to approval by the Education Commission, which reserves the right to check previous knowledge and reject applications.
- Participants agree not to make diagnoses, prescribe medication or treat injured animals without veterinary supervision
- Successful completion of all online and on-site modules, the externship, the own case report and successful completion of the final examination are prerequisites for obtaining certification.
- Use of the VMPT title without successfully completing the entire program and passing the exam will result in permanent exclusion from the program and future offerings
- 6495,- Euro (incl. exam fee)
- 5% discount for members of the VMF, AG TFA.
- Payment in installments is possible, up to 12 monthly installments, fee: 80 €
- 500 € deposit is due upon registration