Online symposium: Pain & RehabSmall Animal - Wednesday 9th June, 2021 · 14:00-18:30 hours CET
Next step to implement physical medicine, rehabilitation and sports medicine as a clinic service: Do we need rehab if we have an excellent orthopedic and neurologic surgeon?
YES, particularly in this case, but also for the many patients we may not think of primarily in that respect, like the geriatric or obese patients, young dogs, working and sports dogs to prevent injury and many more.
Goal: Rise your profile! Get started – with ready to use treatment options, to be implemented into the clinic service, to be given to the pet owner – we start the team approach.
Implement physical medicine, rehabilitation and sports medicine as a clinic service!
~ Dr. med. vet. Beate Egner
- 14.00 Welcome (BE) 5 min.
- Career steps in physical medicine:
get started with simple procedures like heat and cold – become a specialist with an academic education (CCRP/CERP) and complete your desire for an academic career with a residency to become a Diplomate ECVSMR (BB) 15 min.
- Team approach:
my role as a vet nurse, specialized in rehab (GO) 10 min. and (TJ) 10 min.
- Why rehab – look at this example:
Biomechanics and related treatment considerations in CCLR – it is evidence based! (BB) 30 min.
- Break 15 min.
- Multimodal pain approach – manage your patients, don’t miss important links (BE) 5 min.
- a) Pain control with medication – overview: (BER) 5 min.
- b) “Tips & Tricks when you treat with NSAIDS” (Metacam, Previcox & Canosan) Features and benefits of Metacam, and Canosan (CB) 25 min.
- c) Obesity is key in multimodal pain approach (BE) 10 min.
- d) Pain control with physical therapy how to get started with little/ no investment:
1) Heat and cold (BER) 10 min.
2) Massage (GO) 10 min.
3) Exercises (GO) 10 min.
4) Involve your pet owner – homework (GO) 10 min.
- Break 15 min.
- Multimodal pain approach
Overview - Laser, TENS, stem cells, PRP, and much more (BER) 10 min.
- 1) TENS (BER) 15 min.
- 2) Laser (BER) 15 min.
- 3) Hydrotherapy (TJ) 15 min.
- Q&A – panel discussion (all) – 30 min
DOWNLOADGeneral Information Flyer (PDF)